Bovingdon Football Club - Established 1910
The A Team
Bovingdon Football Club was formed in 1910 and originally played our matches at Blacksmiths Hill along the Chipperfield Road. There were no on-site facilities, and the players had to change in the Village Hall and walk to the ground.
In 1953 the club moved to our current home ground in Green Lane, using a converted post-war Nissen hut as a changing room. The new clubhouse was opened in 1973 and the facilities are amongst the best in the area, sporting a clubhouse and bar, four changing rooms and separate shower blocks. The ground also provides two full size pitches, two junior pitches, and a floodlit training area.
The early years were spent playing in the West Herts League, before progressing to the Herts Senior County League in the late 1950’s.
We enjoyed most of our success during the years between 1950 and 1957 when we picked up no less than 22 trophies. Our most notable achievement was being crowned Champions seven years running.
Bovingdon FC has won all of the local cup competitions; the Apsley Senior twice, Watford Peace six times, Webster Cup four times, plus the Chiltern Villages and the Herts Junior. We have also won the St Mary’s four times - in 1950, 1954, 1955, and 1957. Our more recent Cup success came when we won the Rickmansworth Charity Cup in 2005 and our Reserve Team won the Cecil Hudson Cup in 2015.
We currently run three senior teams, with the First Team and Reserves Team both playing in the Herts County League and the ‘A’ Team in the West Herts League. Our thriving junior section fields teams from the under-7s through to the under-18s, who supply a stream of home-grown talent to the senior squad.
Our club exists because of the fantastic amount of time and effort our committee and volunteers put into the club. Many of whom have full time jobs, as well as other commitments and for their amazing efforts we are extremely grateful!